Thursday, October 18, 2012

Before and After Fashion Design Class

I still can't believe that a few months ago, I am just dreaming of creating decent sketches of my own designs. I've always knew that I wanted to do fashion since I was young and now I really believe that I am slowly getting there.




Around 5 months ago, I decided to take a leap of fate by enrolling myself in a Basic Fashion Design class in FIP Makati. It is a risk for me because I am going to break my daily routines and I know that I'm gonna have to work harder to pay for my own tuition fee and other school expenses.





Since last year, I've been declaring and claiming to the universe that this is going to be my year. Being a dragon myself, I believe that since 2012 is the year of the dragon, I should do the things that I've always wanted to do. It's now or never. After all, 2011 is all about secluding myself from the world by taking every possible opportunity to render overtime at work in order to save up. I remember crying at the end of the year because I was all work and no play. This year, I know that I should do want I want. I know that this year, I deserve to be happy.


Alexander McQueen A/W 2006 RTW

It was after seeing this iconic piece of art created by the late visionary, Alexander McQueen, that I finally decided to take up Fashion Design in FIP Makati.


Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream

I don't know when it started but I've always wanted to one day have my own wedding which will have Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream as it's main theme. I thought that McQueen's couture would make a perfect wedding dress. Since I can't afford that one of a kind dress, I said to myself that one day I will make a gown so stunning that it will parallel the spirit and passion poured into the creation of that  masterpiece.

It is during our Basic Fashion Design class that I learned the skills and techniques that I need to be one step closer to become a legitimate designer.  I remember during our first day when our teacher, Sir Ched Dalogaog, asked us to draw a design that will embody our aesthetics as a designer.




I won't deny that during our first day in class, I draw like a preschooler and that my sketch resembles a kid in a costume, when we were asked to draw adult figures. It was a humbling experience for me, specially when I saw some of my classmates' drawings which looked like sketches right off those fashion illustration books. I've always knew that I am not a born illustrator, but I also know that I have a distinct taste in fashion and that you can learn anything as long as you love what you do.

Let's fast forward a little bit. It's almost time for the start of our next term. Our Advance Fashion Design class is about to end and today we learned how to render fur and feathers. If you've been reading my previous posts, you already know that I adore fur and feathers.


Me at the Philippine Fashion Week Holiday Collection
Photo by: The Rappler

For our seat work, we were asked to draw a design in order to render the materials that I love most. As I was thinking of a design, I had an idea of making an updated version of my first ever sketch in Basic Fashion Design. I've tweaked my design a little bit, but nonetheless you can still see the resemblance of the designs.




Let's have a closer look of my recent work.



I still can improve on some things but I am proud on how I've progressed in terms of my drawing skills thanks to my teachers Ched Dalogaog, Aram Loe, and James Imperial.

Here are some of my recent sketches.









As you can see, I am still experimenting on my own signature style. I am just happy to know that I am improving, day by day, slowly but surely.

I've decided to create this post just to point out that if you want something, you are the only one who can make it happen. You decided whether you deserve to get what you want or if you dreams will simply get lost in the backseat and be completely forgotten. I am just very thankful to be guided by teachers who are all such talented and kindred spirits.

So if you are interested in doing fashion design but you are thinking that you don't have the talent or you can't draw or have any other excuses, remember that you have the power to decide.




Just so you know, FIP Makati is still accepting enrollees for next term and you can click here for details.

So before I end this post, I just want to share a simple yet powerful quote.


"It's good to know where you came from. It makes who you are today..." -Alexander McQueen

That's all for now my loves.

Au revoir for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment