Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Golden Egyptian Bride and Miss Flores de Mayo

After watching Drop Dead Diva's Season 4 Finale, I immediately remembered our 1st assignment in Basic Fashion Design. We were asked to design a complete wedding entourage. This got me excited because this was the first time that I get to practice my sketching skills.

My Sanctuary
As I was imagining conceptualizing my bride, I knew that I wanted to do a Mermaid dress and that it should also have a little something extra to make it unique. I just allowed my hands to draw some lines until a clear theme formed in my head. I wanted to do a bridal entourage inspired by Amazons and Gladiators, and the theme will be Love is a Battlefield. The Bride will be a Warrior Queen/Empress who came out as the victor of a Happily Ever After Battle Royal. Who said that women are simply damsels in distress? I wanted my muse to know what she wants and knows how to get it too.

View my sketch after the jump!

My 1st water-colored sketch ever!


My bride turned out like an Egyptian Warrior Queen! I was happy with my drawing because it is unique, it is a mermaid dress, I finally finished my first complete sketch and it's all mine.
Dior Spring 2004 Couture
Photo from: Style.com
After submitting our designs, Sir Ched showed us a clip of Dior's Spring 2004 Couture Collection and I was just left in awe. Not only was I inspired by John Galliano's ablility to capture the beauty of Egypt, I was also happy to know that my aesthetic is somehow similar to a famous couture house. That's gotta be a good sign right?

Here's the infamous Wooden Dress again!
Phot by: Jancy Cuenca
A few months before all of this, just a week after my extraordinary experience in Lady Gaga's Born This Way Ball, I wore my infamous wooden dress once again. This time I joined a competition in our office called "The Search for Miss Flores de Mayo." It was my first beauty pageant and I am proud to say that I won the crown. In the photo above, I styled my wooden dress to look like an avant garde wedding gown which my friends dubbed as the Egyptian Bride look.

Me at our Year End Party in 2010
I guess I've always had that thing for gold, brides, headdresses, and Egypt. Up to this day I am still wondering why. Maybe I was Nefertiti in my past life time. Lol

Nefertiti by Thutmose
Photo from: Neues Museum, Berlin


No comments:

Post a Comment