Sunday, September 2, 2012

Looking Back: Lady Gaga's Born This Way Ball and my Wooden Dress

When one of my Facebook friends suggested that I should post what I wore in Lady Gaga's Born This Way Ball, I realized that eventually this post has to be done so here we go...

It was my first time to watch a concert and need I say that it was indeed an experience that I will never forget. So here's my epic look...

Photo by: Gino Ramirez


Lady Gaga has always been very supportive to her Little Monsters to be themselves, hence, she penned song Born This Way and decided to do a world tour which headlines that song.

Photo from: Google Images

Since it was the Born This Way Ball, I decided to dress up as how I feel during that time. DO you still remember the SM vs the Trees of Baguio?

Photo from: Fun With Government
I almost didn't watch the concert because I wanted to boycott everything that SM is producing because they remind me of Captain Planet's Looten Plunder, the greedy business man who destroys the environment just to gain profit.

Looten Plunder
Photo from: Google Images
So since Lady Gaga usually wear outfits with a strong statement just like here Meat Dress, I decided that I will wear a Wooden Dress to represent the trees that they cut from Baguio. I tapped my dear friend Kulay to design a wooden dress for me. He is a fresh grad from UP Diliman under the AB Fine Arts program. It was a win-win situation, he gets to practice his art and then I get to wear a one-of-a-kind piece of art!

Taken at my friend Blessie Santos' Condo
Photo by: Anne Arcilla
Instead of buying the Patron ticket for 15k, I bought the Upper Box ticket. It  was my compromise for SM's environmental crime vs my love for Lady Gaga. I just used the spare 10k to commission my wooden dress.

The tweet that started the commotion.
We all knew what happened, SM Arena wouldn't allow me to enter the concert with my dress because they believe that it was a threat even though they allowed people wearing metal armors, spikes, and other huge costumes in without any delay.

Another Lady Gaga fan wears an eyewear made of pins.
Phot from: What's on Xiamen
So I had to undress just to get in. Just my luck Raffy Tima, the reporter, tweeted what happened to me and with the power of Twitter people like Liz Uy, Tim Yap, Karen Davila and others retweeted the incident. To make the long story short, I got in and then I requested for a shirt and a pair of slippers from SM Arena's admin because they wouldn't allow my 7inch "bakya." So there I was, walking in freezing cold environment just wearing my skin-toned body stocking and barefoot inside the Arena. Can you just imagine riding the escalator barefoot? Trust me, you don't wanna experience that.

I love Lady Gaga's Origami inspired look!
Photo by: Krista Garcia
Needless to say, I enjoyed the concert even after what happened at the entrance. Upon my request, SM Arena gave me a shirt form the souvenir shop of the concert, they gave me a generic pair of slippers, they even upgraded me and my friend Gino Ramirez's Upper Box tickets to Patron and Lady Gaga was just around 10meters away from us. It was my first time to watch a concert and it was monumental! Lady Gaga's outfit changes, the energy of the venue, and how can I forget that epic and very functional castle on stage.

The Lady Gaga shirt and the generic slippers.
Photo by: Krista Garcia
After the concert, I immediately went to the concert entrance to retrieve my wooden dress and my 7inch "bakya" and that's when the reporters came to the picture. Apparently, what happened got shown on the news, ABS-CBN, GMA7, and TV5 covered the story. An article was even posted on the The RapplerManila Bulletin, and Philippine Daily Inquirer about the incident. PDI's article was also posted in several websites like the Indonesian website Okezone.comYahoo! Malaysia, and even Northkoreatimes.com.

Photo from: Philippine Daily Inquirer
After all the brouhaha, I quietly went home to finally relax in the comfort of my apartment. So that's my first looking back post. This is also the first time that I get to write about that experience. Thanks Abby for your suggestion!

...and please don't forget to click here to follow me on Twitter. ^_^



No comments:

Post a Comment